Feb 24, 2004



I got onto talk radio Saturday.

Yes, from time to time, I actually call and get through to those radio talk shows. Saturday, I found myself waiting virtually no time at all before I was on WFAN with Richard Near.

Over the last several days, everyone in New York has been treated to the litany resulting from the A-Rod trade. Yankee fans are ecstatic and Mets fans are supposed to be disappointed.

At least, that’s the way it’s being spun.

I’m a Mets fan, a used to be Yankee fan who got fed up with the circus the Bronx had become. When Buck Showalter and Don Mattingly left after the ’95 season I had my fill and decided to switch loyalties.

It might have been the best thing I could do for the Yankees.

They went off and ran the table for a few years but, their last World Series win came against the Mets in the 2000’s Subway Series which I was able to attend.

The last few years have been tough for me as a Mets fan. Since going to the World Series the Mets managed to finish in last place a few years running. They said goodbye to Bobby V, Edgardo Alfonzo, Turk Wendell, Dennis Cook, Benny Agbayani, Robin Ventura and Rey Ordonez to name a few. They said hello to Roberto Alomar, Jeromy Burnitz and Mo Vaughn.

Funny thing is, I wasn’t a big fan of a lot of those moves and because of that let my Saturday plan lapse.

Baseball is an odd game in that it really is a team effort. Yes, it’s great to have the star player or two but, it’s better to have a group of players that works well together, more a question of the sum of the whole being greater than the parts. The Yankee team that ran the table was like that - Tino Martinez, Scott Brosius, Paul O’Neil were the core of those winning teams, since they’ve left the Yankees have brought in Godzilla (Matsui), Giambi and a host of others to no avail. Three years running and the Yankees haven’t won a World Series since they faced the Mets.

I like the fact the Yankees went out and got A-Rod. He’s a great player and he’ll make it all the more fun to watch the Yankees over the coming year but... they’re not a lock.

No comments: